June 14th, 2009


I got my second rest day in just a couple of days.  
This one was scheduled and the Brooklyn one wasn’t.  Weather is warm and humid but it is supposed to rain tomorrow.  I’m still trying to find time to do all the things that I need to do.  I still need to spend time on coming up with a formula to make biscuits with my 12 oz of daily flour.  I need to spend more time writing and videotaping everything that happens and my feet are still in bad shape, with another new very large blister on the ball of my left foot.  If I can’t repair that, I can’t walk, and on top of all of that, I have no energy to do anything except sit and soak my feet in Epson salts when I get into camp each night.

I am going to be walking on country gravel roads starting tomorrow because it becomes actual trail and there is some historical significance to this area and I need to be on location, so I am off from Highway 6, at least for now.  As for yesterday on the trail, it rained on me for most of the day.  It was good in some ways because it was overcast and it kept me cool… sometimes too cool, and with all of the moisture, my wheels started to bind up and so we bought a wood file to shave down the axles and not they run better.

I was also interviewed on the road by Dann Hays, a newspaper reporter from Grinnell, a nice fellow who does Civil War reenactments.  He said that the article will be in the paper on Tuesday.  He then came back out and walked and pulled the handcart for 3 miles into Grinnell as part of my trek where I want to walk with as many different people of different faiths as possible.  He was a practicing Methodist and we had a great conversation for about an hour and a half

Went to church this morning in Newton and enjoyed the companionship.  Everyone wished me well and I may have a couple of people join me on the trail in the next couple of days.

I filled up a solar shower bag with water to see if I can get the water warm enough to hand from a tree somewhere and cleanse my body…. you have no idea….

It will probably be a few days before I can update again, just because of “net” access and time, but I will keep you informed of the highs and lows.